Stalking the Waiter

Riffing on foods, flavors and methods since...no, that would be telling.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Amazing Discovery - Carrot Magic!

Maybe there are some food scientists out there who can explain this, but, FWIW...

Have you ever noticed that if you have carrots in a salad with a creamy, salty dressing like Roquefort or Ranch, that they taste a lot like coconut? Those dressings really bring out the sweetness in a carrot. I think that's pretty magical.

Also, you know how cooking cabbage or Brussels sprouts can stink up the whole house/apartment building? Well, I discovered, years ago and quite by accident, that if you steam or simmer carrots in the same pot with the cabbage, there is NO CABBAGE STINK! None. Is that not magic?

{tags }

5 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I have noticed that carrot effect, though I hadn't pinned it down as coconut! I will try sprout thing for sure.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

OK, that's magic. Is the taste affected? I think the biggest problem with B-sprouts is that they steam themselves into little sulfur-y stinkbombs. So I cut them into quarters, at least, maybe even slices, before I drown them in melted butter with a splish of hot water in the saute pan. :)
Anyway, we're having cabbage soup tonight, and I'm throwing in some carrots.
PS: I noticed that cream-carrot synergy when I was a schoolkid, and would gulp a mouthful of milk while I was chewing carrot sticks. Almost like the artichoke effect.
xx

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger ZaZa said...

It seems to me that the carrot's flavor, as well as the cabbage/sprouts, is unaffected. You just don't get that stinky thing. I love those flavors together anyway.

Yeah, creamed carrots are awesome, especially with a little dill or something.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I have a Russian sauerkraut recipe from the first Saveur mag I ever read, which includes carrots with the cabbage. Perfect.
Hey, I'm blogrolling you. Now you have to promise to blog more often.
xx

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Data Tolentino-Canlas said...

great site, congrats! would like to link you up! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home