Stalking the Waiter

Riffing on foods, flavors and methods since...no, that would be telling.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Eggs as Crepes

Quite a few cultures use eggs to make something resembling a crepe. Sara at The Delicious Life just wrote about one - Omo Rice, a Korean dish that has an egg "crepe" topping a veggie-filled fried rice. Looks very tasty.

I love regular crepes, but these egg crepes are much simpler and quicker to make. It's not too much trouble to make just one or two, and you can't do that with batter crepes. This recipe is for a rolled "omelette." I fill it with whatever I have on hand. The fillings can't be too chunky, and they need to be used sparingly. One of my favorites is ham and asparagus.

For the basic omelette:
2 eggs
1 tsp. ice water
1 tsp. peanut oil (olive or vegetable oil are fine, too)
Optional: herbs, thinly sliced green onions, sesame seeds, finely chopped sun dried tomatoes or olives

  1. Using a fork, beat eggs with ice water. This seems to help emulsify the mixture. You only need to break up the yokes and combine them with the whites. You don’t want them frothy - this adds air and will not give you a crepe-like omelette.

  2. In an 8" or 9", non-stick saute pan, heat oil, making sure it coats the bottom of the pan. If you've got one of those silicon basting brushes, they're ideal for this.

  3. READ BEFORE YOU PROCEED: When the pan and oil are hot (barely a minute) pour in the egg mixture and immediately swirl to coat the bottom of the pan - it will be thin and will cook almost instantaneously.

  4. It’s going to be fairly fragile, so, starting at one side of the pan, use a spatula to start it rolling over itself, then tip the roll out of the pan onto a plate.

  5. Unroll the cooked egg crepe/omelette. Lay a thin layer of fillings in the middle two thirds and roll it up.

  6. Put the open flap side down and serve.


This is one of those dishes where, as they say, "your options are limited only by your imagination." Serve with a small salad of some kind, rolls, rice, whatever seems right. Garnish with salsa, avocado, sour cream/yoghurt, Marinara sauce - whatever suits your fillings.

Stand by for pics. I will lick this problem.

6 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger Vivilicious said...

Hiya! Thanks for your email. I think this posting will work, yay! I love eggs in any form and eat a lot more than I am "supposed" to. Well, my cholesterol is okay so who cares, right? I do egg crepes too. In fact I have even used them for makisushi when I ran out of nori. Just a tip I picked up if it's helpful: adding a pinch of salt to the eggs helps to break the albumen in the white down, thereby making a nice flat pancake. Okay, I will stop geeking now. For images, have you tried downloading Picasa? That worked for me... Hmmm, think I'll go make some eggs now ;-)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger ZaZa said...

Hi, Viv,

I usually don't add salt to eggs before cooking because I've heard it can make them "tough," but, for this use, it would make the "crepe" a little sturdier, so that's a good idea. Thanks!

I sometimes just do them with a few herbs, roll 'em up and eat them like that. Or cut one of these crepes into "noodles" and use them in a soup, salad or fried rice - anywhere you would used eggs, but strips instead of lumps.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, sounds good. I look fwd to seeing the pics.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Gena Showalter said...

I'm a horrible cook. I'm wanting to come over to your house for dinner!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Dean said...

Oh, hey. I should try this. I'm not good with eggs.

I like riffing though. Do it a lot.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger AzureLynn said...

Hello! OOOooo.. Eggs are a favorite here. Thank you for the "new" idea on how to fix them and make them interesting. I cannot have dairy products, but then I am only limited in what I can place in them to my imagination after no dairy...

As for your "ferals" that will only eat in one place -- they can be trained to move to a new area .. pick a very close spot to your "shelf" and start putting it there. Use only a small amount if you do not want to "waste" it. Trust me -- they will get hungry enough to start moving for you if you are gently persistant. Keep putting it in small steps to the place you would want to set your trap. Also start offering tidbits of goodies -- tuna works really well for this. Just small amounts will work mixed in the food or set seperately -- trust me they WILL find it. Good luck on eventually catching your feral babies for vet care to stop newer additions to the "family".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home