Stalking the Waiter

Riffing on foods, flavors and methods since...no, that would be telling.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Weekend Cat Blogging #41

Blondie and the possum
Because my camera and my laptop refuse to communicate, Blondie is making a return visit. This time she's eating with the younger, smaller possum. They are sharing what I think may be leftover pizza. Blondie could get along with Bigfoot. :G: She eats with all the other animals. One of these days I'll catch her eating between the possum and one of the foxes on film. Until then, it will remain an urban (rural?) legend.

That is not a very flattering pic of the possum. She looks like she got her snout wounded in a fight. Not one of the cutest animals around, but they are cute in their actions - they pick up food in their "hands" (five little black fingers) and really enjoy their meal, making a lip-smacking sound, although they don't appear to have lips. Tiny pleasures.

For lots more cute kitties, visit Clare and Kiri at eatstuff for the WCB roundup.

5 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Hey, we used to feed a little possum with our feral cats. His name was Petie. The cats didn't care, and I became quite fond of the critter. He waited in the hole of a cement block with just that little rat tail hanging out until I put down the food. During the day he sat in the camellia bush beside the door peering at us as we walked by. When they're little, they're really kind of cute!

How long has your cat been eating with wildlife? Cats are so funny. Ours also ignore the raccoons that show up occasionally, sometimes even napping while the raccoon cleans out their food bowl three feet away.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger ZaZa said...

Oh, Blondie is one of the ferals.

Where I used to live, I discovered two years running that a mother possum had left her babies with me. The first year, the mother was attacked by raccoons and nearly died. She left the babies up on my deck, where they lived in a couple of huge ferns I had in containers, only coming out to eat at night.

The next year, I'm not sure what happened, but I discovered one night that I had four baby possums living in the house. They were under a small dresser I had in the kitchen/family room, where I kept linens and small stuff like that.

I routed them out, but there was one who just kept coming back. She was so determined. ;+) I named her Mac. She was the only possum in the history of the world who could gallop. LOL! I was trying to catch her and she dashed off for the living room, literally doing a gallop - front feet move together, back feet move together, and she was fast. Not at all possum-like.

But when I followed in her general direction, I saw this little rat tail sticking out from behind one of the throw pillows on the couch. Busted. I really miss her. I'd have brought her if she hadn't disappeared shortly before I moved. LouLou had no problems with her or any of the other possums. The raccoons were another story. They were huge. They scared me.

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love possums. The babies are so cute and then they get very snaggly toothed as they age, which is interesting, I must say. Blondie is very sweet.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger boo_licious said...

That's so sweet of Blondie to share her food with the possum.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

I love this picture and the story in your comments! There aren't too many animals I'm afraid of, we like to feed the skunks and raccoons at the trailer, although the neighbours don't care for it too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home