Stalking the Waiter

Riffing on foods, flavors and methods since...no, that would be telling.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Pork, Pork, Everywhere - Very Slow Pig Weekend I

Well, I missed the Pork Blogging Weekend or Slow Pork or something. Ah, Slow Pig. I didn't remember it until the day after we had the delish BBQ ribs for dinner. Then I was at a loss for something else pork so soon, but, now, I'm thinking about adobo. Too bad I'm not going to be eligible for the prizes; they sound super.

After reading about rillettes over at Becks & Posh, I was reminded of how tender and succulent a good pork adobo can be. The first way I learned to cook adobo was my best friend's mother's recipe. It was almost like a sauerbraten in flavor - based on cider vinegar and pickling spices, although she was from the Philippines. This was my benchmark adobo, until I met Procsy, a nurse, also from the Philippines, but a different part, with a very different style of cooking.

Procsy's adobo is based on lemon and garlic, two of my favorite things. She used the traditional combination of chicken and pork, and it was a mind blower. Her recipe is one of those things I have to make in small batches, because I just cannot leave it alone. In thinking about it, it seems to me that if you did the adobo thing to flavor the meat, then cooked it slowly with a lot of it's fat, until it was tender enough to turn into paste, then you'd have a highly flavored rillette of pork and chicken. Hmmm. But would it be good on toasted crusty bread??? I'll have to think about this.

My appetite is telling me an open-face sandwich with butter lettuce, the rillettes on top and...and...something...

To be continued. Why strain my brain when I've already missed the boat, and it's the middle of the night? :G: Tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Excelente. (I just teased Sam about having made French carnitas, heh.)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

That sounds so YUM! : )

Wow, I did make the Some Pig thing in time (miracles do happen), but I didn't know there were prizes. Oooh! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home