Stalking the Waiter

Riffing on foods, flavors and methods since...no, that would be telling.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Amazing Discovery - Butter Tempers Tomato Sauce

I was watching America's Test Kitchen this weekend, and they put butter into a slightly acid sauce to bind it and to reduce the acidity. I wish they'd said why butter can do that.

It's something I've been wondering about for years. Way back in college I discovered that putting a pat of butter, on top of the tomato sauce, on top of my pasta made it much less acid. I have no recollection, now, why I would have done such a thing, but I did. For most people this would not necessarily be a good thing, but I get a rash if I eat too much acid food. I'm not giving up my pickles and hot sauce, so the tomato sauce gets buttered. I've done that for years every time I eat tomato sauce at home. :G: And I'm still wondering why it works that way.

Anyone have a clue?

3 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Harold McGee might know. Later on (if I remember) I'll go see if he addresses that.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger ZaZa said...

Thanks. It's a kind of weird effect. You'd think it would just disappear in the stronger flavors.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it may be the calcium from milk that tempers the acid. I know from experience you don't get the same effect from margarine, so that would make sense. Margarine is evil anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home